I had it all... a well paying job, a lovely home, and a healthy family. Then, why did it feel like my life was over? It made no rational sense. Yet nothing makes sense when you're in the throes of depression. I was numb, hopeless, angry, despondent. I could see no light of the end of the very dark tunnel I was spiraling down.
Thankfully, the mustard seed of faith within me prevailed and I had the courage to come face to face with the reality that I needed to make some changes in my life. I was forced to leave behind the career that no longer served me and get serious about reconnecting with the person at my core. I needed to find my voice and learn how to nourish my soul. I needed space and time to heal from wounds that were deep within.
The notion of abandoning the story of who I was in favor of leaping into the unknown was terrifying for me and my husband. What would our lives look like with a dramatically reduced income? Would we be able to pay the mortgage? Would we be able to provide for our son's future? Would we ever be able to retire? So many questions swirled about our heads. Yet there really was no choice. I could continue on the same path and die or I could make new choices and live. Dramatic? Yes, but it was my truth.
My husband could see that I was being crushed by not living in alignment with my purpose. And so, instead of panicking, abandoning me, or spurring any sense of guilt, he stood by me. He expressed unconditional love for me at a time when I needed it most. He gave me space and allowed me to explore possibilities for my future. He watched me paint, decorate cakes, sew, make crafts, and complete home projects. He watched me dream and develop business plans. When I decided that I wanted to further my education by attending nutrition school, he expressed concern about the cost but ultimately gave me the green light to invest in myself. I'm now just a few weeks away from completing my program and am investing further in my education by enrolling in a business development program. I am we'll on my way to a new career and have confidence that I can build a successful business and more than make up for income lost during the time I was getting my life back. I feel incredibly blessed for having the support of a partner whose unconditional love helped me move toward a new story, a renewed sense of hope, a restored life.
No comments:
Post a Comment